Past Perfect Tense

Anlam ve Kullanım:

Past perfect, geçmişte yaşanan iki olayın hangisinin daha önce yaşandığını belirtmek için kullanılır. Daha sonra yaşanan olay için past simple kullanılır.

  • When I arrived home, my sister had already made lunch.
  • Eve vardığımda kız kardeşim öğlen yemeğini çoktan hazırlamıştı.
  • Mary had just come when I entered the room
  • Odaya girdiğimde Mary henüz yeni gelmişti.
Yapı:

Past perfect ile bir cümle kurmak için
  • subject + had + past participle
  • subject + hadn't + past participle
  • had/hadn't + subject + past participle?
Olumlu örnekler:
  • By the time I came to school, the class had already started.
  • I realised at the end of the class that I had forgotten to bring my paper.
  • Jack had been a cook for forty years when he retired.
Olumsuz örnekler:
  • He wouldn't have failed in the exam if he hadn't been lazy to study.
  • I hadn't finished my dinner when the waiter came.
Soru örnekleri:
  • Hadn't you told Johnny you had something to do?
  • Had he known his friend would lie to him?

!!! Past perfect ile cümle kurarken "already, just" gibi zarflar kullanmamız gerekebilir. Böyle durumlarda zarf çoğu zaman "had/hadn't" ile fiilin arasına girer. 
  • By the time I came to school, the class had already started.
!!! Past perfect ile "when, by the time" gibi zaman ifadeleri sıklıkla kullanılır.
  • By the time I came to school, the class had already started.
  • Jack had been a cook for forty years when he retired.
!!! Günlük konuşma ve yazıda "had" yardımcı fiili kısaltılabilir.
  • I'd forgotten to call you back.

Yorumlar